Charles Leonard began his legal career with the United States Department of Justice as an Assistant United States Attorney. He is an active trial lawyer and litigates cases in all areas, but specializes in white collar criminal defense litigation as well as personal injury and wrongful death claims.
Mr. Leonard's trial skills have earned him recognition as a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, a legal organization that limits its membership to less than one percent of the lawyers in North America. Through special invitation, Mr. Leonard is a member of The American Association for Justice, a national organization whose membership is composed of the top 100 trial lawyers from each state. Since 1999 he has been certified by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in America and was recognized by the Indiana Business Magazine as one of Indiana's top lawyers for calendar year 2007.
Mr. Leonard is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court. He has also been admitted pro hac vice before several different United States District Courts throughout the country.
As Defense counsel in State of Indiana v. Hopkins, Mr. Leonard litigated the third case ever tried involving DNA in the United States, the first of its kind in Indiana.
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana Public Defender Council, Executive Member
- Allen County Child Advocacy Center, Board Member
- Allen County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Fort Wayne Monthly "Top Lawyers" Trial Practice, Criminal Defense
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Indiana's Top Lawyers, Indiana Business Magazine
- Indiana Super Lawyer
- White Collar Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Allen County Community Corrections Advisory Board
Notre Dame Law School, Notre Dame, Indiana
- J.D. - 1973