Strong Support Through Civil And Criminal Appeals

Many people think that when a judge hands down a ruling, the answer is final and their case is over. Although that can be true, there may be options to appeal the sentence. At the law office of Leonard, Hammond, Thoma & Terrill, P.C., we have been representing clients in northeast Indiana since 1952, and we help clients achieve the results they need in criminal and civil appeals. We routinely handle several criminal appeals in Allen County each month, and we’re pleased with the success we’ve achieved.

Grounds For A Criminal Appeal

When people are questioned by prosecutors, they often think that being cooperative and agreeable will serve them well. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

If you plead guilty to a fixed term of years, you waive your right to appeal your sentence.

If you proceed to trial and lose, however, you can appeal the guilty verdict. In addition, after the judge sentences you, you may be able to appeal the sentence. In some situations, individuals plead guilty and have the judge make the sentencing determination, and then they can appeal that sentence.

Finally, any time there is a final order, you can appeal. Our Fort Wayne attorneys represent clients in appeals of:

  • Issues of bond
  • A verdict issued by a judge or jury
  • Dismissal of a defendant from the case
  • A judge’s dismissal of damages awarded by the jury
  • Dismissal of the complaint for failure to state a cause of action or summary judgment
  • Motion to suppress
  • Pretrial motions

Civil Appeals

If you believe a family law judge made a mistake that deprived you of your right to a fair trial, you may have grounds for an appeal. We represent individuals in a range of civil appeals, including:

  • Divorce appeals
  • Child in need of services (CHINS) appeals
  • Child support or custody appeals
  • Property division appeals
  • Protective order appeals

Contact Us To Guide You Through The Appeals Process

An unfavorable ruling does not need to be the end of the line. Learn more about the counsel our lawyers can provide by scheduling a free initial consultation. We can be reached through an online contact form or by calling 260-564-2711.